Monday, May 26, 2008

== May 26 == Official Start?

Official start? Don't know about other programmers (can't say I'm the most experienced of the lot), or other projects (maybe it is just pretty hefty relative to others), but if I were to only start coding just now, I'd be in a big pile o'something right now, trying to figure out how to minimize my losses.

Can't say I'm 100% satisfied with the progress so far, either. What I have is a semi-functional client in working condition, which still cannot do most things I need it to do. Hopefully, by the end of the week I'll finish the bulk of the client (and the peripheral support stuff), so that I can test it, and start on the AI part.

This past week I have enhanced the functionality of the client a great deal; it can now connect to server both on autologin, and manual login mode, and I believe that it's internal architecture has reached a rather stable state. I have also implemented a helper logger of connection events, which I believe will come in handy both for the inner working of the client (or any other client, for that matter), as well as for debugging purposes.

The main challenge as of now, is in sending/receiving frames. I am confident that by the end of the week this hurdle will be behind me.

Till later.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

== May 15 == Seeing some progress :)

This week has been pretty productive for me, as I feel that I'm on my way to making a functional client using libtpproto-java.

There have been a couple of setbacks... first, I accidentally received a bone-deep gash last Friday, while trying to jump on an especially high boulder. Fun times. Now I'm stuck with a limp (and some general discomfort) for god knows how long... But hey, on the bright side I cancelled a 3-day wilderness trip due to the injury, and will spend most of the weekend on the project instead. The second setback happened when all of a sudden I couldn't log into the remote git server. I spent the whole day trying to fix the problem (even posted it on the ubuntu forum), then the next morning I get the word that the problem is global, and that I simply need to generate a new key. Done!

On the positive side, I have produced some code towards making a functional client. It is still very much in the prototype stage, but I believe that the basics shouldn't change much. You can find the latest git push in the repo.

Looking forward to getting the client nailed... hope it happens sooner than later, so that I can start work on the AI bot! (My personal deadline for finishing the client is May 26. Testing will follow).


Wednesday, May 7, 2008

== May 7 == Internim report

The past week I spent buried in Socket Programming tutorials (continually referencing back to libtpproto-java to understand its functionality) .

I also decided to first proceed with building a basic functional client, and only then concerning myself with building an AI on top of it. This way, I'll know from the start how the AI and the client will communicate, which will prevent compatibility issues later on.

Next week I intend to have a basic working client, and will have started to work on a tester for it.